Hi everyone, i'm doing this article because i felt the need to share some thoughts that i think it's important for the character and his comicbooks.
I'm no guru of comics, i'm just a long time fan of the Punisher for 15 years and i've follow his comic books for a long time
To elaborate these points i got help from a long time fan of the character Blackstone ( which make almost every point) and he's got his take on the character. He's written a dozen fanfics of the Punisher, feel free to read them.
These points are what we think that will make a solid and long Punisher run:
- Three dimensional portrayal of the character;
- Straight forward, action packed, high body count stories;
- Despicable villains: They have to be really mean and bad to give an "extra" meaning to the Punisher methods;
- He needs to be an active part of the Marvel U and interact with it sometimes with Hydra, Aim, guys like that...or do an occasional job for SHIELD see Mack Bolan. Crossovers with some of the espionage/crime themed titles. Not Daredevil, Spidey or Wolverine, try other characters. And those crossovers bring numbers up. Sad but true;
- He needs to be able to kill someone significant, something that will have some repercussion in the Marvel U (No-one big: Owl, Tombstone, etc.) or at least mess up someone's organisation like a Wilson Fisk or someone like that and THAT becomes canon;
- Interesting supporting cast: They don't need to be permanent in the book, but Frank must have someone who can give him intel, weapons and most important some "depth" to the comic book to catch the most comic book fans as possible, not only Punisher fans;
- Make him travel: From time to time, he can do some missions outside LA. it could be in U.S or outside the country, for example Africa, middle east, Europe, etc. There are tons of stuff he can do in many countries all over the world;
- Details on the Punisher's methods (how he collects info);
- Solid rogue's gallery: It's very hard to keep a rogue's gallery in a Punisher book since he kills them, but it's possible to make the most extraordinary villains survive for at least 2 arcs.
- BIGGER PICTURE: There should be a family of titles within Marvel. Street level/crime/espionage characters. DD, Moon Knight, Heroes For Hire, Widow, Elektra, Shang Chi...And Castle should interact with those characters. Which means Frank should appear in those titles as well. He needs exposure. Tighten up continuity between these titles. Make it the shadow world of Marvel.
- BIGGER PICTURE(2): Take Frank outside of his box. Maybe once or twice, he faces vampires or werewolves and works with Blade or someone like that.
- Big arcs, but conclusions. Like Punisher MAX was. Six issues and move one but all of it is connected;
- EDITORS: Give. The creators. A CHANCE TO FINISH THEIR STORIES!